This will be the 10th year that SARA will be running the annual two-day workshop on basic PAYE computations, tax structuring and package build-up, which will be presented by Jerry Botha. The past attendees have ranged from new entrants to the HR profession, with little or no basic knowledge of tax and payroll practices, to advanced HR, payroll and reward professionals including Human Resource Director level who need a refresher. This is a safe learning environment, where the emphasis is on true knowledge transfer and learning.
Members are encouraged to send their junior payroll, remuneration and human resource practitioners for a step-by-step learning process through the computational fundamentals. Two days attendance is compulsory to gain the full value of the workshop, as one computation builds on the next, to achieve a full cost to company and flexible benefit computation by the end of the 2 days. This is an authentic workshop environment with a guide which needs to be completed. In addition, attendees will be required to perform 35 to 40 sample computations providing detailed explanations. There will also be principle training in-between the practical exercises.
Cape Town – 10 & 11 April – Park Inn by Radisson, Newlands
Johannesburg – 28 & 29 May – The Wanderers Club, Illovo
*10 CPD Points are awarded for attendance
- Understanding and using the tax table to calculate tax;
- Rebates and how they apply to tax calculations;
- Payslip calculations and net pay using T-Account approach;
- Part year calculations and impact when SARS assesses the individual at year end;
- Additional earnings from another source. i.e. 2 employers in the year;
- Once off/Variable payments e.g. Bonus, 13th Cheque;
- Understanding UIF and how it is calculated;
- Understanding the impact of travel allowances on taxable income;
- Medical Aid Credits and their impact on tax due;
- Understanding retirement reform and tax implications on approved and unapproved contributions;
- Basic principles of cost to company and basic plus package;
- Examples using the principles of Allocate, Tax and T-Account which will incorporate all principles covered above; and
- General tax queries and principles as per questions asked by delegates for items they feel are challenging in their environment.
About Jerry Botha:
Jerry Botha specialises in employee remuneration, benefits and tax. He holds his own FSB license, is a Master Reward Specialist, CFP®, Chairman of the PFI Tax ISG, SARA Executive Committee Member, Chair’s the SARA Employee Benefit and Tax Committee.