The South African Chamber of Commerce (SACC) in Mauritius, in association with Tax Consulting South Africa and Xpatweb, is pleased to announce a presentation by Jonty Leon (Co-Author of the LexisNexis Expatriate Tax textbook) on the new expatriate tax law change promulgated under South African law effective 1 March 2020. It will specifically deal with solutions to mitigate tax liability in South Africa. The presentation format will be informal and due to complexity and importance of these matters, it will be approximately 1 hour. Jonty will be available afterwards for a Q&A session for those who need more detailed information.
- Dealing with the fundamentals of international tax vs. South African tax and the principle that South Africans must always have a tax protection strategy;
- The history to the expatriate tax law change and the not widely reported primary motivations for the expat tax law change;
- The submission to Parliament in 2017 on behalf of South Africa expatriates, why the R1m exemption was allowed, the amended tax law and the remaining technical concerns not addressed by National Treasury and SARS;
- Financial Emigration – when is this viable and when not, criticism and opportunity;
- South Africa / Mauritius Double Tax Agreement – when is this viable and when not, risks and opportunity;
- Planning considerations where Financial Emigration and / or Double Tax Agreement relief not possible, including compliance strategy;
- Retirement in South Africa, tax risks associated with ‘end of service’ gratuity and other lump sums, tax considerations for continued South African investments especially into retirement vehicles, rental properties SARS audit approach etc.;
- Inheritances from or to family in South Africa, donations’ tax, forex and exchange control planning for inward and outward remittances;
- Common Reporting Standards, criminal offences standards, optimal tax planning and caveat against various tax ‘schemes’ being punted;
- LexisNexis guide on Expatriate Tax.
PORT LOUIS, MAURITIUS
Wednesday, 26 February 2020
08:00 – 10:30
Le Labourdonnais Waterfront Hotel, Port Louis
Member – Free
Non-Member – MUR 450
*Seats are limited!